Engineering leaders at Buffer craft a fulfilling work environment for each engineer and lead effective, empowered teams where folks are productive and contributing at a high level. Sound interesting? We’re looking for an engineering manager for our web product engineering team. You’ll be supporting 6-8 engineers across 1-2 teams and reporting to our VP Engineering.
We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where marginalized groups are truly welcomed and can flourish. As a leader on our team, we expect that you will contribute actively to this aspect of our culture.
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer. We're united by Buffer's values, and we celebrate our unique differences. As a remote team, we’re lucky to be have the chance to add teammates from anywhere in the world!
We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where underrepresented groups can flourish. People from non-traditional backgrounds are especially invited to apply!
What You'll Do
- Lead engineering team(s) to ship high quality software on predictable schedules during our product cycles, partnering closely with Product Managers to cut scope and continuously deliver software in a lean way
- Manage the context in which team members operate, including:
- Representing the team in planning meetings
- Translating engineering team vision and technical roadmap into action
- Coordinating with other areas such as Marketing and Customer Advocacy as needed
Have regular one on ones with engineers, where you will:
- Set expectations, provide regular feedback & hold team members accountable
- Develop a strong two-way feedback loop where you share wider organizational context and build a deep understanding of each engineer and how they work
- Support engineers and help reach a resolution when challenges arise
- Craft a fulfilling and engaging work experience through regular career growth and development conversations
- Iterate and improve our engineering processes and technical culture
- Maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities your team is facing building and deploying software. Most of your time won’t be spent coding, but you should get your hands in the code regularly to maintain context, ask informative questions, and assist the team in making strategic trade-offs
- Participate in hiring and on-boarding of engineers
Helpful Skills and Experience
- You have experience leading an engineering team, either as an engineering manager, or as a senior engineer/technical lead
- You’re capable of leading globally distributed team members who might have different skill sets from your own, and be located in different timezones
- You have a deep understanding of how software is built and deployed
- Our front end is React.js with Redux, and we have a service-oriented architecture with microservices using Node.js
- You have strong verbal and written English communication skills
- You’re comfortable with participatory management. You have a track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while maintaining high levels of autonomy on your team.